Throughout the second chapter of Siddhartha, I noticed some blatant similarities to the Bible. First of all, let's talk about some of the obvious ones. Maybe the one that pops out at you the most is how the author compares Buddha to Jesus. How his "words and breath are sufficient to heal the afflicted..." and how "Many go their way to seek the wise man". This whole thing seems pretty similar to how the King of the Jews travelled around the Middle East curing people and performing miracles, with a horde of followers behind him. And the way that some people talked trash behind both their backs says that whoever wrote Siddhartha clearly was inspired by Sir Jesus of Nazareth.
I was drinking some water while reading, and when I was nearing the end I was chuckling a bit, because of all the similarities. But when I read the last sentence, and the book says "you would have soon learned how to walk on water", some liquid came out of my nose, I'm not going to lie.
Throughout the read (which was very puzzling btw) I couldn't help feeling curious about the Buddha. He seems very cryptic and interesting. When our main character tells Govinda that he didn't want to meet Gotama, I wanted to give him a pat on the back. With a baseball bat.
No comments:
Post a Comment